- NAVIGATING THE FUTURE: STRATEGIC HR MANAGEMENT IN 2024
- Jan 30 2024
- 8:20 am - 1:00 pm
- 22 Aug 2023
- All Day
Negotiating to create value Online Workshop
Pre-Conference workshop for Industrial and Employee Relations Conference
We negotiate all the time, both professionally as well as privately. Research shows, however, that only around 10% of managers are able to maximise value for their organisations in their negotiations. Why is this and what can be done to improve negotiation outcomes?
In this workshop we’ll explore:
- The notion of negotiation as a decision-making process and what that implies for preparation, planning, execution and implementation of agreements reached.
- The three dimensions of negotiation: People, Process and Problem.
- How the negotiator’s mindset in respect of each of these dimensions determines the outcomes achieved.
- Measuring success (the ‘Negotiation Balanced Scorecard’).
- The core skills needed for negotiation success.
What you will learn:
- How your own thinking about negotiation might be holding you back.
- The different strategy options available to a negotiator and the need for flexibility.
- Negotiation tactics that work and those that should be avoided.
- How to persuade others to move in your direction.
- Unlearning is sometimes much harder than learning.
- How your first move in negotiation is the most crucial.
ABOUT YOUR FACILITATOR:
Barney Jordaan, Professor: Negotiation, Conflict Management, Mediation, Vlerick Business School
Barney Jordaan holds a doctorate in law from Stellenbosch University, South Africa. Prior to taking up a position at Vlerick Business School (Belgium) in 2014, he held a number of academic appointments in South Africa, including that of professor of law at Stellenbosch University and thereafter as adjunct professor of negotiation and conflict management at the University of Stellenbosch Business School and the Graduate School of Business, University of Cape Town. Barney also practised as human rights lawyer in South Africa during the apartheid era before co-founding a consulting firm in 1998 which advised corporate clients on employment-related matters, conflict management strategies, negotiation and dispute resolution. As an internationally certified mediator he has been involved in mediation since 1989. He is the author and co-author of over 60 book chapters, conference papers, cases and articles. His latest book, Negotiation and Dispute Resolution for Lawyers was published in June 2022.
Registration fees exclude VAT. INCLUDES speaker slides of the conference
22 August 2023 • Negotiating to create value Online Workshop R4 500.00